please, browse with Mozilla Firefox
Resources by thematic areas
(last update July 2008, in Italian)
(xml document, last update 23rd September 2008, in Italian)
(last update 18th September 2008, in Italian)
(last update 21st August 2008, according to TEI recomandations: in Italian.)
Sources and resources available
At today there are some works focused about Naxi people and Dongba tradition.
Initiatives are particularly dedicated to Dongba manuscripts tradition and pictographic writing system, and sources are at most represented by monographs and specialized papers scholars can retrieve from academic institution and libraries.
There are also some important online initiative, focused about publishing digital reproduction of selected corpus of Dongba manuscripts as representative sample-group from their collections.
Resources available: paper material
Plenty of resources are available as paper publications: among them I had the
possibility to retrieve some pictographs dictionaries and Pinson's modern
Naxi lexicon, plus some other works about Naxi people culture as: their history, history of art, religious tradition and modern language.
Pictographs dictionaries (chronological order)
- ROCK Joseph Francis Charles, 1963: "A 1Na-2Khi-English encyclopedic dictionary",
Serie Orientale Roma, XXVIII
- ROCK Joseph Francis Charles, 1972: "A 1Na-2Khi-English encyclopedic dictionary. Gods, Priests, Ceremonies, Stars, Geographical Names", Serie Orientale Roma, XXVIII
- 方国瑜; 和志武 - Fang Guoyu; He Zhiwu, 1995 “ 纳西象形文字谱 - Naxi xiang xing
wen zi pu" 云南人民出版社 : 云南省新華書店发行, Kunming Shi : Yunnan ren min chu ban
she: Yunnan sheng xin hua shu dian fa xing, - isbn 7222017518
- 李霖灿; Lǐ Líncàn, 2001 "纳西族象形标音文字字典 - naxizu xiangxing biao yin wenzi
zidian", 云南民族出版社 Yúnnán Mínzú Chūbǎnshè - isbn 7-5367-2126-9
- 和品正 - Hè pǐn zhèng, 2004 " 東巴常用字典(漢英対照) - Naxi Dongba Pictographic Dictionary"
雲南美術 - isbn 7806951687
- Dragan Janekovic, 2005 "Na-si: srpski recnik" - Beograd: Narodna
biblioteka Srbije. Here DJ.
Naxi people, language, culture and traditions bibliography
Others fundamental works focused about modern Naxi language, dialects, history,
society and religion, etc...:
- BRADLEY, David. 1975. «Nahsi and Proto-Burmese-Lolo.» Linguistics of
the Tibeto-Burman Area, tomo 2° Volume I
- HANSSON, Inga-Lill. 2003. «Akha.» The Sino-Tibetan languages ed. by G.
Thurgood and R. LaPolla, 236-251. London: Routledge.
- HE Jiren 和即仁 and JIANG Zhuyi 姜竹仪. 1985. Nàxīyǔ Jiǎnzhì 纳西语简志 (presentation of Nàxī language). Beijing: Minzu Chubanshe.
- HE Zhiwu 和志武. 1987. Nàxīyǔ Jīchǔ Yǔfǎ 纳西语基础语法 (Grammatica basilare della
lingua Nàxī). Kunming: Yunnan Minzu Chubanshe.
- Mathieu, Christine, 2003: "A History and Anthropological Study of
the Ancient Kingdoms of the Sino-Tibetan Borderland--Naxi and Mosuo"
- Lewiston, NY: Edwin Mellen Press
- McKhann Charles F., Yang Fuquan, Zhang Yunling, 2003: "Icon &
Transformation. (Re)Imaginings in Dongba Art", Sheehan Gallery Press
- Walla Walla
- McKhann Charles F., 1992: "Fleshing out the Bones: Kinship and Cosmology
in Naqxi Religion", University of Chicago
- Michailovsky, Boyd; Michaud, Alexis, 2006 " Syllabic inventory of
a Western Naxi dialect, and correspondence with Joseph F. Rock's transcriptions
" Cahiers de linguistique - Asie Orientale 35: 3-21
- Pinson, Thomas M., 1998. Naqxi-Habaq-Yiyu geezheeq ceeqhuil -
Naxi-Chinese-English glossary, with English and Chinese indexes", Dallas:
Summer Institute of Linguistics. xxix
- Rees Helen, 2000: "Echoes of History: Naxi Music in Modern China",
Oxford University Press
Useful material could be also retrieved by consulting
Collection of manuscripts in western institutions
Dongba manuscripts tradition also expressed by a copious production of manuscripts written both by pictographic and syllable-graphic writing system: at today some thousands of manuscripts had survived to injuries of history, and among them Jackson & Anshi state that 5118 manuscripts are actually conserved in western libraries institution (Oppitz M., Hsu E., 1998: 240).
- British Library
- India Office Library in London
- John Rylands Library in Manchester
- Staatsbibliothek in Berlin
- Library of Congress in Washington D. C., with a collection of 3342 manuscripts
- Chinese-Japanese Library of Harvard-Yenching Institute in Boston, Massachusetts, with a collection of 598 manuscripts and 4 funereal scrolls
Interesting would be to work for a complete census of Dongba manuscripts
in just-listed institution collections also just for statistic index, and expand such census to all western
institution, wandering if there's other hidden resources of pictographic manuscripts:
Do.M.En.I. project also contemplates such census activities.
Resources available: online resources
Two institutions among them previously introduced published independent online resources, both consisting in a representative corpus of digital images of their manuscript's collection organized by ceremony name
- The Library of Congress, Asian Division: Selections from the Naxi Manuscript Collection, with an online corpora of 185 manuscripts, a 39½ -foot funerary scroll and an annotated catalog of the entire collection, all as digital images
- Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts: O.A.S.I.S. - Online Archival Search Information System, Naxi manuscripts collection, with a corpus of 468 manuscripts' digital images
Do.M.En.I. project is focused to apply TEI standard encoding system to get digital facsimiles of manuscripts and implementing completed annotated corpora from digital images gallery of manuscripts: please visit Do.M.En.I. dedicated intro page.